Arts & Culture
Jewcy Zeitgeist: All Females Fly Obama, Pope Takes Tumble, and Hate Crimes Law Expanded
Here are today’s top stories in no particular order: Bombs struck two luxury hotels in Jakarta, Indonesia today, causing New York police to beef up security at city hotels as a result. The U.S. Senate has passed a bill that … Read More
Here are today’s top stories in no particular order:
- Bombs struck two luxury hotels in Jakarta, Indonesia today, causing New York police to beef up security at city hotels as a result.
- The U.S. Senate has passed a bill that will significantly expand the hate crimes law, to cover those attacked on the basis of gender identification and/or sexual orientation. It’s about time.
- Uh oh! The Pope took a tumble today and fractured his wrist. He had a twenty minute surgery and was released later in the day. More proof that the health care system in Italy is much more efficient than, say, here. I wonder if the Pope got a Prada sling to match his red shoes…
- "Help is available for college students struggling to pay tuition." Colleges are "doing what they can." Really? I’d LOVE to see that. My college certainly isn’t doing what it can.
- Tomorrow is to be celebrated as Nelson Mandela Day, as the anti-apartheid icon celebrates his 91st birthday. He said he has mellowed and plans to spend his birthday quietly.
- Republican Senator. Sex Scandal. Again. Enough said.
- Marine One flew the first black U.S. president with its first all-female crew, piloted by Major Jennifer Grieves on her last day on the Marine One rotation. To commemorate her duties as the first female pilot of Marine One, the crew on her final trip was made of all women.