Arts & Culture
Jewcy Zeitgeist: Titanic Loses Last Survivor, Plane Lost Over Atlantic, and Susan Boyle Loses It
Here are today’s top stories in no particular order: An AirFrance jet has gone missing after hitting thunderstorms that caused severe turbulence. The jet was en route from Brazil to France and was due to land around 5 a.m. EST. [Editor’s note: … Read More
Here are today’s top stories in no particular order:
- An AirFrance jet has gone missing after hitting thunderstorms that caused severe turbulence. The jet was en route from Brazil to France and was due to land around 5 a.m. EST. [Editor's note: They should investigate the likelihood of this plane winding up on a tropical island populated by smoke monsters, polar bears, and ageless dudes in black eyeliner.]
- The 2009 hurricane season begins today, and forecasters are concerned that this could be another bad year for storms, some coming with very little warning.
- The last survivor of the Titanic has died at the age of 97. Millvina Dean was the youngest passenger on board when the infamous ship sank, only nine weeks old.
- The daughter of actor Billy Bob Thornton has been arrested and charged with child neglect after a one-year-old child that she was babysitting died.
- The U.S. is on its way to increasing security at land and sea borders, asking citizens to present passports when arriving from Canada, Mexico, Bermuda, and the Caribbean.
- After skyrocketing from nobody to the most downloaded woman in the world, Susan Boyle lost not only the Britain’s Got Talent competition, but also, potentially, her marbles. She was escorted to the hospital not long after the competition’s finale, after reports that she was behaving erratically. Some news reports have said she had an emotional breakdown, while others say she was merely sent to the mental health facility suffering from exhaustion.