7 Decadent S’mores Recipes For Lag B’Omer
Because Lag B’Omer → Bonfire → S’Mores → Perfection Read More
The minor (but very fun) Jewish holiday of Lag B’Omer begins this Saturday night! What better way to celebrate than by eating some delicious, gooey s’mores by a bonfire? There is no better way, trust.
If you’re a little confused as to what this holiday is all about, you’re not alone—its origins are kind of vague. The literal meaning is straightforward: “Lag” is simply the acronym of the Hebrew letters ‘lamed’ and ‘gimmel’, which have a combined numerical value of 33, and the Omer is the period of 49 days between Passover and Shavuot that we count and observe as a period of semi-mourning. It’s said that 24,000 students of Rabbi Akiva died during this period—either as part of the Bar Kochba revolt (132–136 CE), or in a plague wrought by God as punishment for sinat chinam (baseless hatred)—and that Lag B’Omer, the 33rd day, marked a respite from battle or disease.
Anyway! The TL;DR version of the story is that Lag B’Omer is a day for weddings, first haircuts (upsherin), festivities, and bonfires. Which means bonfire food! Which means S’MORES. Thank you for being patient. Here are your recipes.
1. Not Your Bubbe’s Peanut Butter Lag B’Omer S’mores: Your basic s’more, with a PB & Oreo twist.
2. S’mores Rugelach: Old country, meet new country. These look amazing, taste amazing, and are ridiculously easy to make.
3. Homemade Whole Wheat Graham Crackers S’mores: Real balabostas bake from scratch; everyone else should just feel very bad about themselves. (Kidding!)
4. S’mores Cheesecake With Summer Berries: Because Shavuot is just 17 days after Lag B’Omer, and you need to perfect your Cheesecake-making skillz, right?
5. Banana Boat S’mores: They’re healthy…ish! Wrap in aluminum foil and throw onto the edge of fire—just close enough to get melty and gooey.
6. Martha Stewart’s Matzo S’more: Old matzah is transformed—transformed, I tell you—by the s’morification process. I made these on Saturday night. I wouldn’t lie to you.
7. Summer S’Mores Martini: Because we wouldn’t want you to get thirsty.