Arts & Culture
The Pop Culture Omer
For each night of the Omer, a different Jewish fact! Read More
It’s officially the Omer, the gap between Passover and Shavuot, in which Jews are commanded each night to count one more day. Excited? No? Well Jewcy has just the motivation: a Pop Culture Omer.
You see, there’s a pretty strict rule against mentioning the number of a certain day early or, you know, you’ve counted it. So we have combed through Jewish history and pop culture to find stand-ins for each of the 49 nights, and we’ve already started tweeting them (#PopCultureOmer). Think of it as an update of the above image, an Omer calendar from 1850.
Anyway, here is the full list in all its glory, questions and answers laid bare. Study up, and follow @JewcyMag for your daily cryptic reminder of what you’ll be counting any given night.
- How many Jewish women have held the title of Miss America?
- Count the bestie broads on Broad City.
- How many Oscars does Steven Spielberg have?
- Brian Epstein was the manager for the most famous band in history, known sometimes as the Fab _.
- How many Marx brothers were there (don’t forget Gummo!)?
- How many productions of Fiddler on the Roof have played on Broadway?
- This year of the Tony Awards was great for Jews, with Arthur Miller winning best play for The Crucible and lots of Jews winning for musical Wonderful Town.
- How many Jews have served as U.S. Supreme Court Justices (sans Merrick Garland)?
- How many seasons of Seinfeld were there?
- For this answer, fill in the blank for the title of the Paddy Chayefsky play: The ____ Man.
- How many Olympic medals (of any rank) did Mark Spitz acquire in his career?
- The Producers holds the record for the Broadway musical with the most Tony Awards. How many?
- What’s the name of a Jason Robert Brown musical involving a kid prepping for his Bar Mitzvah?
- How many studio albums does Bette Midler have to date?
- At this age Drake’s career began, with his acting role on Degrassi: The Next Generation.
- This was Natalie Portman’s age when she played Anne Frank on Broadway.
- Joseph Gordon-Levitt celebrates his birthday this day in February.
- This was Aly Raisman’s age when she won an Olympic gold medal.
- At what age did Barbra Streisand make her Broadway debut (in I Can Get it for You Wholesale)?
- How many seasons of Judge Judy have there been (so far)?
- The age at which an American Jew can have a legal L’Chaim!
- How many feature-length films did one or both Coen brothers write and/or direct?
- How many years has the Notorious RBG served on SCOTUS?
- Barbra Streisand celebrates her birthday this day in April.
- Rashida Jones celebrates her birthday this day in February.
- Mel Brooks (may he live until 120) was born in 19__.
- How many novels or novellas has Philip Roth written?
- How many films has Judd Apatow produced to date?
- What is Sheldon Adelson’s net worth, rounded to the nearest billion?
- At what age did Marilyn Monroe convert to Judaism?
- What is Scarlett Johansson’s current age?
- What was Sandy Koufax’s baseball jersey number?
- How many countries voted for the 1947 U.N. partition plan?
- How many studio albums does Barbra Streisand have to date?
- How many years ago did Simon and Garfunkel record their famous Central Park concert?
- Keeping Up with the Steins had this (unfairly low) percentage on RottenTomatoes.
- What was James Franco’s age at his Bar Mitzvah?
- What is the number of the next World Zionist Congress, scheduled for 2020?
- What was the number of weeks The Chosen was on the New York Times bestseller list?
- What was Yentl‘s Box Office gross, rounded to the nearest million?
- How many years ago did Jewish-directed films Funny Lady, Young Frankenstein, and Jaws all premiere?
- In the Hebrew numerical code of gematria, what is the value of Google? Hint: It’s the answer to the Life, the Universe, and Everything.
- How many years ago did the Jewish film The Way We Were premiere?
- How many years ago did Bette Midler release her debut album, The Divine Miss M?
- What is Idina Menzel’s current age?
- What is Jack Black’s current age?
- Tony Kushner’s Angels in America: Millennium Approaches won Best Play in this Tony Year.
- What is Judd Apatow’s current age?
- Not to end on a low note, but how many years ago did Paul Muni die?Image credit: Wikimedia Commons