Here are today’s top stories in no particular order:
- After months of pressure from the opposition, Madagascar’s president is expected to resign, handing off power to the military.
- California’s Senate Republicans have defeated a bill that would have provided 20 additional weeks of unemployment to its residents, a plan that would have cost approximately $2.5 billion.
- No surprise to many who have seen their Facebook home pages change in the past week, Twitter is gunning to work more closely with Facebook to integrate the two sites. Facebook seems content in simply emulating Twitter with its newest new news feed.
- It’s a bird, it’s a plane, it’s a… bird in a plane. A Delta Airlines flight was returned to the airport yesterday after birds were sucked into one of the twin engines. The plane landed safely and all passengers were rebooked on other flights.
- Actress Natasha Richardson has been hospitalized after suffering a head injury while skiing in Quebec. She is said to be in serious condition.
- The dollar has slipped against the euro as U.S. housing starts are on the rise.
- Everything’s going green (and I’m not talking environmentally-friendly) for St. Patrick’s Day!