Jewcy Zeitgeist: Corruption Rises, Israel Desperately Unsafe, and Missing Wreckage Found
Here are today’s top stories in no particular order: Debris found off the coast of Brazil is indeed the wreckage of missing Air France Flight 447. Officials are doubtful that the black box will ever be recovered, and there is no … Read More
Here are today’s top stories in no particular order:
- Debris found off the coast of Brazil is indeed the wreckage of missing Air France Flight 447. Officials are doubtful that the black box will ever be recovered, and there is no word on finding any survivors.
- A new report from the Global Corruption Barometer suggests that government corruption is on the rise worldwide.
- Republican New York Representative John M. McHugh has been announced as President Obama’s pick for the Secretary of the Army.
- The Indian Parliament has elected its first female speaker. Meira Kumar ran unopposed for the position.
- In the event of another Katrina-like storm, FEMA is considering housing displaced families in foreclosed homes, hoping that this will minimize diaspora and help communities remain strong.
- The Dave Matthews Band played an exclusive show at the Beacon Theatre in New York City on Monday night–a small stage for the band accustomed to playing stadium shows–in a performance telecast on Fuse cable channel and broadcast live on Hulu.com. Their new album, "Big Whiskey and the GrooGrux King," was released yesterday, the first since "Stand Up" in 2005 and since the death of beloved saxophonist LeRoi Moore in August.
- In a report disheartening for many, the Global Peace Index has been published, ranking Israel 141 out of 144, only safer than Somalia, Afghanistan, and Iraq. Sudan and Iran are both ranked well above Israel for safety. New Zealand has been ranked as the safest country in the world. Excuse me while I book my vacation plans.